October 12, 2020
Earlier this year, I had planned to make a major announcement about a project that I had been working on. Right before I was about to make that announcement, COVID-19 hit us and our world changed. With everything else going on in the world, I thought it would be better to hold off.
It’s now six months later and, although the COVID-19 crisis has not gone away, I feel that the time is right for my announcement.
Over the last year, I’ve been working with an amazing team of people to lay the foundation for a new theatre company in Auburn and Placer County. Together, we’ve created a vision of a new kind of performing arts organization that incorporates live theatre and modern technology to allow for innovative approaches to theatre and new media. We hit out first goal this week when we received our letter from the IRS granting us non-profit status.
So, let me introduce you to Placer County’s newest performing arts non-profit, Dreamlight Theatre.
A little about who we are and what makes us different.
- We are focused on the artist. Our desire is to create a collaborative environment where artists drive the decision-making process. Our ensemble will help define the shows we produce, the classes we offer, and the projects we develop. Dreamlight Theatre is a place you will want to call home because you will have opportunities to work on projects other companies cannot or will not produce. Better yet, you will help us determine what those projects are.
- We will create projects that are not just repeats of what every other company has done. There are great theatres all throughout our community. But let’s face it. A lot of them are doing the same shows that other companies have done recently or will do in the future. We’re not about that. We want to produce shows that are not being done in the area. We want to give you the opportunity to stretch and grow and be challenged. We are not afraid to take risks and we are looking for actors and artists who want to come along for the ride.
- We are leveraging technology and new media. I can’t talk too much about this part yet, but we have partnered with an innovative media company in Auburn, InnerVoice.Media. We will be producing shows in their studio in Auburn. This partnership gives us several major advantages. First, we have a beautiful 150-seat performance space for live performances. This exciting news, however, is that this venue is a multi-purpose facility that can serve as a studio for movie, television, and radio filming and recording. We are also leveraging contacts within the film and entertainment industry to bring world-class talent to our projects. Finally, we will be able to blend live theatre with direct streaming online and to new media. For our ensemble of artists, we will have direct access to film, television, and online entertainment projects that are looking for talent. I will be talking a lot more about this partnership in the future.
That’s just a little about the vision of why Dreamlight Theatre was created. You can learn more about this vision at our website www.DreamlightTheatre.com
I’m also thrilled to be able to announce our 2021-2022 Inaugural Season. Before I reveal the shows we are set to produce, let me also explain that due to COVID-19, there is some flexibility required in scheduling shows. We don’t know what the next 6 months or year will bring, but we’re excited at the possibility of moving forward, so we have assembled our season as best we can. The dates are flexible and may change as the circumstances change, but we hope to be producing our first show as early as May or June of next year. Even if we aren’t able to perform live shows in a theatre setting, we have some exciting online and virtual projects you might want to consider being a part of.
That being said …. Here’s our 2021-2022 season:
2021 – 2022 Mainstage Season
- Moonlight and Magnolias (Spring 2021)
- Lizzie the Musical (Fall 2021)
- Glengarry Glen Ross (Winter 2022)
You can find out more about these shows by visiting our website at www.DreamlightTheatre.com. If you think you may be interested in auditioning for our shows, sign up for our audition newsletter and be one of the first to get audition announcements.
2021 – 2022 Cabaret Series
We have three special shows planned as well. Our cabaret series features an evening of songs and entertainment curated by our performers. We’ll pick a theme and you provide an act to fit that theme. You rehearse on your own but we’ll all come together to learn a few group songs and dances and put it all together. Shows will be performed over one weekend, so there is a limited commitment for our performers. Here’s a chance for you to perform those songs you’ve always wanted to sing.
We don’t know the themes just yet, but there’s a really good chance one of these shows will be just in time for the Christmas 2021 holiday.
Staged Reading Series
During the course of the year, we will be offering a number of staged readings of plays. These are plays presented in an informal setting with actors reading from scripts with limited scenery, costumes, and props. This is a chance for you to get to know shows that you may not have heard about or seen. Increase your knowledge of theatre literature and maybe even help us decide future shows. As an actor, it’s also an opportunity to perform a role you might not otherwise get the chance to perform.
We will be offering at least 6 staged readings throughout the year.
Our goal is to help develop you as an artist, so we’re open to ideas. Do you have a project you want to make happen? Have you written a script you’d like to get produced? Do you want to learn how to be a director? Let us know what you have in mind. We want to provide an environment where you can pursue those projects in a safe and guided way.
So, how do you get involved?
- Visit our website at www.DreamlightTheatre.com. You can learn more about who we are and what we’re doing. While you’re there, sign up for our newsletter or audition mailing list.
- Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/dreamlighttheatre
- Consider becoming a member of our ensemble. As an ensemble member, you will help us decide what projects we will be considering. You’ll be a part of the core team that helps make Dreamlight Theatre happen. If you’re interested in what it means to be an ensemble member, send me an email.
- Pitch your project. If you have a project you want to see developed, send me an email and let me know. Let’s talk about it.
- Spread the word. Tell everyone you know to visit our website and Facebook page.
- Stay tuned. When it’s prudent, we’ll be have some get-togethers where you can learn more about what we’re doing and how you can get involved. We’re happy to give tours of our new facility and open your eyes to the possibilities.
If nothing else, send me an email and let me know you’re interested. We’ll find a way to get you involved.
That’s it for me. Thanks for letting me share this news with you. I hope you are as excited as I am about a new theatre in Auburn and what we’ll be doing in the future. I know it’s hard to get too excited about something new especially when there are still so many uncertainties in the world, but I promise you that when no matter what happens or when, Dreamlight Theatre will be ready to kick off.
Let’s hope for exciting new theatre in 2021!
Executive Director, Dreamlight Theatre